Solved

ZOS-API supporting Python 3.10 and python.Net 3.0?

Hi,

The other day python.Net version 3.0.0, supporting Python 3.10, was released. Hence, I’m curious to hear when we can expect ZOS-API to support this very much appreciated combo.

Best regards,

Hans

icon

Best answer by David.Nguyen 6 October 2022, 18:01

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Hans,

I kinda want to know as well now.

I’ve read about the match case statement in Python 3.10. What else are you interested in this combo?

Take care,

David

Hi David,

Yes, match-case statement is very interesting.

But as someone who’s switching from 30 years with Matlab to Python, better error syntax and typing syntax is much appreciated. After all, 3.8 was released 3 years ago :)

/Hans

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Hans,

It makes sense.

Kudos to you for switching programming langage after 30 years. It speaks about your open-mindeness.

Good luck on your Python journey,

David

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi David and Hans

I checked with our developers. The ZOS-API is a .NET 4.8-based library.
So if Python.net 3.0 supports .NET 4.8, then it should work without any issues. And Python.NET is compatible and tested with Python releases 3.7 - 3.10.

But we haven’t done any specific tests.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Sandrine,

@svilches reported an issue with ZOS-API Standalone Example 2 in this post, and going from Python.net 3.0.0 to 2.5.2 solved the issue it seems. So, it could be that it doesn’t support .NET 4.8 yet.

Take care,

David

Thanks Sandrine and David,

Seems like it’s best to wait a bit and let things converge first.

Cheers, Hans

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi David! Thank you for pointing this. I had missed it.

All I can see that it says Python.NET gives “a nearly seamless integration with the .NET 4.0+ Common Language Runtime (CLR)”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I’d like to add that @Asuku also had an issue with the most recent Pythonnet version in this thread with the FFT MTF diffraction data. Since this is the third user I see that had this problem, I think it would be good to have a note on the community somewhere visible to warn people against using Pythonnet 3.0 for now. What do you think @Allie and @Sandrine Auriol ?

Take care,

David

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @David.Nguyen ! Yes fully agree. I have done one below. I also had issues when testing last week with Pythonnet 3.0. 
Thank you all on this forum thread for starting this conversation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

One more thread with an issue using Pythonnet 3.0: 

Take care,

David