Solved

Export field from non-sequential mode to act as a source in Lumerical FDTD

• 1 August 2022
  • 2 replies

I have a zemax rayset file in .DAT format that I can import in Zemax OpticStudio in Non-Sequential Mode to act as a source and propagate to some distance. I then would like to transfer this field from Zemax to Lumerical for FDTD simulation. Is there a way to do this? I know that .ZBF file is used to transfer data between Lumerical and OpticStudio. But as I am working in non-sequential mode, this method is not viable. Can someone help me with this?

Thank You!

icon

Best answer by Csilla Timar-Fulep 19 April 2023, 14:40

View original

2 replies

Hello,

I have the same problem. Does any expert know how to accomplish it?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hello @pgaur and @Lenror Li ,

Thanks for your question here.

Unfortunately, currently the source file data exchange between Lumerical and Zemax OpticStudio is a one-directional exchange only from Lumerical to OpticStudio NSC mode, but not the other way around.
You can learn more about the available interoperability methods here:
[Webinar] Zemax and Lumerical: Part 1 - From Nano-scale to Macro-scale Optics and Back | Zemax Community

That said, I think the required field data can be reconstructed by measuring the irradiance and phase on a Detector Rectangle object for both the X and Y polarizations. 
For more details about the Detector Rectangle settings, please take a loko at the Help file sta:
The Setup Tab > Editors Group (Setup Tab) > Non-sequential Component Editor > Non-sequential Detectors > Detector Rectangle Object
You could automate this process from the ZOS-API: first run the ray trace, then pull the detector data, and finally write the E field data to a ZBF file based on measured phase and irradiance. Please make sure to include both X and Y polarization data, as it is required for Lumerical.
To implement this workaround, you may find the following scripts of pulling detector data to the API, and writing ZBF files useful:
Methods for extracting detector data through the API | Zemax Community
How to manually create a ZBF file | Zemax Community
Python Reading Writing Binary Files (ZRD, ZBF, DAT, SDF) | Zemax Community

Finally, I would like to mention that there is a dynamic link available between OpticStudio NSC mode and Lumerical RCWA for simulating 1D and 2D gratings. You may find more details about this option in the following knowledgebase article:
Dynamic workflow between Lumerical RCWA and Zemax OpticStudio – Knowledgebase

This might be useful depending on your application. If you could share a bit more details about what you are working on, we might be able to offer a more customized solution for that.

I hope this helps, but do not hesitate to ask if you have further questions.

Best,
Csilla