Bug? Ray stops on mesh edge, but no irradiance or lost energy is reported

• 28 April 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2

See the attached ZAR.

The ray hits the mesh, but the detector reports 0 irradiance on all faces. The ray trace tool also reports 0 lost energy. I would expect 1 of 2 faces to be hit, or for lost energy to be reported.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hello Chris

It seems like this ray is in error as it is hiting the edge of the STL object, but the software doesn't report any errors and doesn't report any irradiance either. I will ask one of my colleague to check in case I miss something.

If I move the ray by a small decenter, then it works as expected.

Were you trying to do anything in particular? I'm just trying to understand as I don't think this ray would be traced.

Sandrine

Userlevel 2

When we run simulations, I want to make sure the lost energy isn't too high compared to the total energy. I was trying to craft a situation where I could get 100% lost energy reported so I could test that my code would detect it correctly.

'I don't think this ray would be traced.' Any ray that is emitted from a source and hits a mesh should be reported, right? All rays should be traced. Maybe the flux could be divided evenly across both triangles, or a triangle is chosen at random.

In any case, I found another case where I could get 100% lost energy reported, but I thought I'd leave this up as a bug report.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Yes I understand. We have reported a bug and I'll let you know once the developers have started reviewing it.