Solved

What is the difference between waist and waist size?

• 2 April 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi Dear,

What is the difference between waist and waist size? I found that the value of the waist and the waist size is different. When I entered M2 larger, the difference between the waist and the waist size was large.

When I simulate the laser system, should I use the waist or waist size?

icon

Best answer by Mark.Nicholson 2 April 2022, 20:48

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

The size of the beam is, well. the size of the beam on the specified surface.

The waist is the waist (minimum size) of the beam, and it is located at the location (position) specified as measured from that surface .

In your example they are the same since the surface is at the waist in any case.

You compare the position of the waist to the Rayleigh range to determine whether the beam on the surface is inside the slowly-varying part of the wavefront propagation or is in the linearly varying part of the wavefront propagation.

The size of the beam is, well. the size of the beam on the specified surface.

The waist is the waist (minimum size) of the beam, and it is located at the location (position) specified as measured from that surface .

In your example they are the same since the surface is at the waist in any case.

You compare the position of the waist to the Rayleigh range to determine whether the beam on the surface is inside the slowly-varying part of the wavefront propagation or is in the linearly varying part of the wavefront propagation.

Hi Mark,

Yes,size and waist are the same when the surface is at the waist.

I am confused when the M2 = 1,waist size,size,waist are the same. when M2=16,waist=SQRT(M2)*waist size.

How do they calculate and when I simulate multimode laser, should I use waist size or waist?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Check the Surf1 to Waist parameter. You are defining the beam as having its waist on surface 1, so its waist and size are the same thing.