Tolerance a distance between two optical components

• 19 February 2020
  • 3 replies

Hello,

I have two optical elements which the distance between both need to be really precise.

How can I do a tolerance analysis over that distance?

Should I make consider one object the reference and do the tolerance analysis for that particular object?

Thank you,

Narciso

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Hello Narciso,

If I understand correctly, the "tolerance analysis" goal is to determine how precise the distance between two optical elements has to be, right? So that distance has to be a parameter that can be toleranced.

Could you provide a bit information like a sketch so we can be able to give further advice? You will need to use the Image button in the toolbar to add an image.

Thank you.

Sandrine
Hello Sandrine,

First of all, thank you for your reply.

Yes, that's correct. I want to know how precise the distance (d on the image below) can be.

Thank you

Narciso

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Hello Narciso,

Thank you for your sketch. I forgot to ask last time but are you working in non-sequential mode?

If that is the case, yes you can use the "Modify Reference Object" tool in the Non-sequential editor to reference the 2nd element vs the 1st one. It will give access to that thickness.

Then the distance d can be a parameter that you can tolerance using TNPS.

To get a 1st idea of the sensitivity, you could use a 1D Universal plot under Analyze...Universal Plot and plot the merit function (your criterion, it could be the flux, ...) vs that thickness.

Then you could use the Tolerancing tool: the Inverse Sensitivity can be used to get an idea of the tolerance needed on that thickness for a given change of your criterion.

Let me know if that helps and if not do not hesitate to write us back.

Thank you!

Sandrine