Stock Lens Matching tool - Lens flip side

• 14 June 2021
  • 9 replies

I suspect the Stock Lens Matching tool does not test the stock lenses twice (both direct and flipped). Can you confirm this?

I'm testing on a finite-conjugates system with two cemented doublets and it looks like the best result is not following the symmetry principle. Indeed, when I flip the first doublet I can reach far better results.

9 replies

I strongly support this feature testing both orientations. By the way, I had requested that option years ago.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Excellent point Alberto, I'd also like to support this feature.

Cheers,

David

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I also support this. I don't believe the stock lens matching tool is useful without trying both orientations. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Thank you for your comments. This is actually a good point and I have checked and it is logged as a feature request on our side. I will bring it to the attention of the product team.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi everyone,

This tool is invaluable in my work and I couldn't bear with it :p

Please find a ZOS-API implementation of the SLM tool that supports element reversal at this GitHUB repository. Few things to note:

1. It is still in development (by myself in my free time...)

2. Read the installation instructions carefully

3. It has very little error handling, and is significantly slower than the native version

4. I'm still unsure how the standard SLM tool works, so I'm not able to reliably reproduce its results

5. I'm happy to hear your comments and make improvements to this tool if time permits

6. The progress bar isn't really good because I don't know how to make it progress linearly for an unkown number of iterations (which depends on the number of lenses that are found in the catalogs)

That being said, it seems to work for me, but I don't want to take any responsibility for the results of this user-extension.

Let me know what you think.

Take care,

David

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi everyone,

I fixed a bug in the tool that prevented the use of “variable-only” lenses, and I realized that when a matched lens Merit Function can’t be calculated, the returned MF value is zero in the ZOS-API. I’ve decided to discard those lenses, but this also means I’m discarding legitimate lenses that would produce a MF value of zero (highly unlikely).

Let me know if any of you has had the time to checkout this tool.

Take care,

David

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I requested having the stock lens reversal feature years ago, and to date it still hasn’t been implemented.  Someone on staff said they logged it as an action way back then.  Sorry Sandrine, I know you mean well, but among us longtime users, “logged as a feature request” has become synonymous with “if we ignore it long enough maybe it will just go away”.  We really wish Zemax developers would put a little more effort into responding to our requests as they also add new features.

So for what it’s worth I too, once again, add my vote for making the Stock Lens utility try both directions.

Mike

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi @Mike.Jones,

Can I ask you if you have some example files that I could try with my ZOS-API implementation of the stock lens matching reversal tool?

Take care,

David

@David.Nguyen  Great job! This API is really useful.

Can this API consider the situation, that use the doublet or triplet to replace one singlet lens?

I also have an idea for the reverse lens.

In the Lens Catalog, we can choose the lens we like first, and load, and save as a zmx file. Then reverse the lens and save as a second lens file. We need to use API to do it.

And then we save all lens file in a folder and use the Make Private Catalog to convert the folder as a catalog. When we use the SLM tool, we can directly select the catalog we made. How about this idea?

Thank you!