Solved

Simulating Ronchi Ruling

• 10 June 2021
  • 5 replies

Hello!

I am trying to place a Ronchi ruling style grating into my optical system in ZEMAX, but am unsure how to start! I am new to ZEMAX and any help would be greatly appreciated. 

icon

Best answer by Mark.Nicholson 11 June 2021, 02:36

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi Sara,

You can use the diffraction grating surface (or objecty in NS mode) and simply configure it as a low-spatial frequency grating. Or, use a slide surface (object) to import a bitmap of black and white lines at the approriate point in the system.

- Mark

Hi Mark!

Could you help explain how you would configure the driffraction grating as a low-spatial frequency grating? I have tried to look up what that means but cannot seem to find an explaination for how to do this in ZEMAX.

Thank you for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi Sara

All I mean is to use the lines/um parameter of the difraction grating surface, and enter whatever frequency is appropriate. A ronchi might be 0.1 lines/micron to 0.01 lines/micron for example.

- Mark

Hi Mark!

Thank you, that makes sense. Do you know if this is possible to configure in sequential mode? I see the lines/um column in non-sequential mode, but cannot seem to find this in sequential mode.

Thanks again,

Sara

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Use a Diffraction grating or any of the other diffractive surfaces and you'll see it in the parameter columns.