Solved

pupil shape question

• 2 October 2022
  • 2 replies

Hello,

I have a very simple (2 lens, intermediate focus) afocal system, and I am interested to analyze the exit pupil wavefront error and shape (as off-axis fields become increasingly distorted, ~10% compression in one axis for a 1 deg field angle). The Analyze→ Wavefront→ Wavefront Map is normalized to +/-1 relative units in both x and y axis (checking the ‘Use Exit Pupil Shape’ box doesn’t change this); I’d like to see this in the form that appears in the Footprint Diagram. In essence, I’d like to convert relative units to absolute (e.g. mm) units.

Is there an easy way to do this? Should I write a script calling REAX and REAY to convert relative to absolute? Any input is appreciated, and thank you in advance.

Andrei

icon

Best answer by Mark.Nicholson 5 October 2022, 00:00

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi Andrei,

I presume you’re using the wavefront map analysis feature? That shows the wavefront error across the pupil, so it is in pupil coordinates, so that +/-1 represents the EXPDiameter of the pupil. The plot shows the wavefront in pupil coordinates and EXPD and EXPP are reported elsewhere. In fact, the EXPD is reported in the rubric of the wavefront map, I think.

If ‘Use Exit Pupil Shape’ is selected the map is distorted in x and y coordinates based on the x and y f/#s, which are also reported elsewhere. 

If you put a dummy surface at the exit pupil location, the footprint on that surface and the wavefront map outline should be in broad agreement. Note that the footprint is on the surface, whereas the wavefront map is based on what you’d see at the image point for the specified field/wavelength.

-Mark

Thank you Mark!