Can I create a new text file for output inside of ZPL macro

• 14 July 2020
  • 1 reply

I would like to create a new text file from inside of a ZPL macro for saving data while the macro runs.  I see the OPEN command, but it requires the file to already be created.  I do not see any keyword for creating the new file.  Is there a way to create new files from inside of a running Macro?  

Thanks

Chris Buchholz

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi Chris,

Thank you for contacting Zemax support!

Usually there are two ways to save a text file using ZPL macro. One is through the keyword GETTEXTFILE. The keyword uses following syntax and allows you to create a new text file that saves the information from the Text tab from any OpticStudio analysis window that supports text.

Syntax:

GETTEXTFILE textfilename, type, settingsfilename, flag

The second way is to use keyword OUTPUT. The OUTPUT keyword specifies a destination for text output generated by subsequent PRINT command. Output is either to the screen, or to a file. If OUTPUT SCREEN is specified alone, then all subsequently executed PRINT commands will be directed to the screen. If a valid filename is provided, then subsequent PRINT commands will output to the filename specified. If a filename with no path is provided, output will be directed to the \Macros folder. The syntax is shown below. 

Syntax:

OUTPUT SCREEN
OUTPUT filename

If you would like to know more on how to use the keyword, you can find it explained in the Help File at The Programming Tab > About the ZPL > KEYWORDS (about the zpl) > OUTPUT

Let us know if these methods work for you or if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

Hui