Solved

Best way to detect rays incident on the back side of a reflective object?

• 29 January 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Zemax Community,

what’s the best/easiest way to detect rays hitting the back side of a reflective object? It’s a pretty complex Non-sequential system with a source, primary detector and many “parallel” objects in between. I’m trying to understand the losses due to 1) objects blocking rays reflected from another object and preventing them from reaching the primary detector and 2) objects shading other objects and preventing rays from reaching the other objects, to be reflected to the primary detector. 

One idea for the blocking instances is to create a set of separate, absorbing detectors just off the backsides of the reflective objects. This would work and be a bit cumbersome. Maybe there’s an easier way? Can a reflective object have dual properties on each face? Or?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Josh

icon

Best answer by Jeff.Wilde 1 February 2022, 07:52

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Josh,

I’m not sure this is what you want, but give it a try. For visual purposes, Detector Viewers have a Filter String (under Settings..Filter). The Filter String serve to only display a subset of rays. The syntax of the Filter String is described in the Help File under The Setup Tab > Editors Group (Setup Tab) > Non-sequential Component Editor > Non-sequential Overview > The Filter String.

What might be useful for you is the X_HITFACE(n, f) string. It displays only the rays that have hit face f of object n. This is an example without Filter String:

This is the same example with the Filter String to select only the rays that hit face 1 of the rectangular volume (the filter string gets written in red in the bottom-right corner):

Let me know if that makes sense. Take care,

David

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi Josh,

If you are interested in knowing the amount of power striking a particular object, you can utilize that object as a detector:

To detect only the power striking one or more faces on the object, then the appropriate filter string could be applied as described by David (but it would be done within the Detector Viewer window).

-Jeff