[Webinar] Optotune Liquid Lenses Added to Zemax Stock Components [Q&A]

• 6 December 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

This thread is dedicated to the webinar: Optotune Liquid Lenses Added to Zemax Stock Components. Any questions received during the webinar will be responded to as a reply on this thread.

[The event has concluded]

Webinar details

Presenters: 

• Mark Ventura, Vice President Sales & Marketing at Optotune
    • Mark is electrical engineer and has co-founded Optotune in 2008. As VP Sales & Marketing he has developed the market for liquid lenses with a focus on machine vision.
  • Michael Büeler (@Michael.Bueeler), Head of Optics Engineering & VP Quality at Optotune
    • Michael holds a PhD in Biomedical Engineering and Optics and is responsible for optical design at Optotune. Employing Optotune’s liquid lenses has designed several focusing, zoom and illumination systems for mobile phone cameras, factory automation and med-tech applications.

Abstract:

In the past 10 years, liquid lenses have evolved to become a well-established solution for fast and reliable focusing. In this webinar we will discuss common liquid lens architectures, evaluate their performance and show applications in the fields of imaging, laser processing, ophthalmic devices and AR/VR. We will explain how to best integrate the lenses in Zemax optical designs including how to model typical lens aberrations.

Allie 1 year ago

Watch the recording

The recording of the webinar may be accessed at this link: Optotune Liquid Lenses Added to Zemax Stock Components

Find answers to your questions below

For this webinar, I am posting the answers to received questions on behalf of the speakers 😊. Once the thread is closed, I encourage any follow-ups be sent directly to Optotune at the following link: Contact form — Optotune

View original

This topic is closed to new comments

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Watch the recording

The recording of the webinar may be accessed at this link: Optotune Liquid Lenses Added to Zemax Stock Components

Find answers to your questions below

For this webinar, I am posting the answers to received questions on behalf of the speakers 😊. Once the thread is closed, I encourage any follow-ups be sent directly to Optotune at the following link: Contact form — Optotune

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@Douglas.Golding 

Q: When physically changing the radius, how much does the center thickness change? / Presumably we would need to include the thickness changes in surface 3 and 4 in the Multiconfiguration Editor

A: Indeed, the center thicknesses of surfaces 3 and 4 are changing when physically changing the radius of the variable surface 4. However, since the thicknesses of the surfaces 3 and 4 are modelled with edge thickness solves, these changes are applied automatically and they don't need to be included in the Multiconfiguration editor.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Q: What shape can you make the lenses? Do they have to be round?

A: Lenses can indeed also be elliptical or other shapes. We have the technology to control both sphere and cylinder of non-circular lens shapes.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Q: 

Hello,

I think liquid lens is hardly used in mobile phone camera. 

Is there any specific reason?

A: The technology is indeed suitable for mobile phone cameras. There are actually two phones available using our liquid lens for fast autofocus and in particular for a macro function that allows to use the phone like a microscope! For more information, please contact Optotune’s sister company: info@nextlens.com

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@Shu-i.Wang 

Q: How does the liquid lens behave under high vibration environments? 

A: 

• Non-operating conditions: survival without any problems up to 500-1000 g, depending on the lens model.
  • Operating conditions:
    • Generally the market feedback is very good and vibrations have hardly ever been an issue. Nevertheless, we ran some tests, which showed that image blur becomes noticeable at accelerations >20 m/s^2 with frequencies in the range of 100-1000 Hz. The new gravity compensated lenses might perform better, but tests must still be performed.
    • We recommend placing the liquid lens behind the aperture stop to benefit for better optical performance and least sensitivity
Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@stephen.howard_01 

Q: Can I get a copy of this presentation? The ideas presented, particularly in conjunction with confocal imaging scenarios are of interest and I would like to use them to present ideas to my group.

A: Sure, can you please tell us more about your application(s)?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@Citlali.Perez Campos 

Q: What are the limitations of using liquid lenses compared to conventional lenses? Such as extreme environment applications or ultra-high power lasers.

A: Our lenses should not be thought as a replacement/alternative for conventional lenses, but rather as a valuable addition to increase the flexibility and versatility of an optical system. Regarding lasers, the upper limit to the maximum power they can sustain is about 10kW (@1064nm). Our EL-10-42 liquid lens, intended for laser marking applications, is qualified for powers up to 50-100 W. (above this, the lens still survives, but thermal lensing effects impact performance). For what concerns extreme environments, our lenses go through strict reliability tests including shock tests, high temperature / high humidity tests, cycling/lifetime tests. Operating temperature can range from -20°C (below the lens “freezes” but recovers) to +120°C. For more information, we can send you additional documents/datasheets/reports about our reliability tests.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

This thread is now closed. For any additional questions, feel free to contact the speakers via sales@optotune.com.