Question

Recovering disconnected licenses

• 4 August 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

We have just switched to ANSYS subscription version (from Zemax + dongles) and I wonder how the other users  here handle the problem I had yesterday:

I went to a meeting with my laptop and AZOS open (in the background during that meeting) and when I came back and plugged back to the docking station, I had several pop-ups (all the same, something like 5 in a row) telling me no license was found. I closed Zemax and restarted, but noticed the license was a now professional instead of the premium I was using before closing. The license server still though I was using that license and counted it as in use. The IT had to restart the license server service (fortunately I was the only user that day as my colleagues are in vacations). I know this happened before to another colleague.

How do you (everyone’s feedback is welcome) handle this kind of problem ? Is there a duration of inactivity after which the license is freed ? Is there a trick to free a license that is unsused ?

I can’t imagine that restarting the license server service (or even rebooting the server as the IT even said) is the solution to me disconnecting my laptop from the docking station to go to a meeting...

3 replies

We just switched to Ansys Zemax and I’m having the same problem. Yesterday the license was freed before IT had the chance to restart the license server, but it was a matter of a couple of hours. The multiple warning messages are the same. Sometimes if I have three instance of optic studio open it will tell me no license it available for two of them and one will continue working. 

We have one license per user and I don’t know why it is blocking me. I use the Zemax-Python API quite a bit and when some python scripts I’m working on are regularly crashing / in the debugging phase the license problem appears more frequently. But it has also happened when I closed my laptop during lunch and reopened it again after. It is very difficult to see where the “ghost license” use is happening also.  

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello all!

This is a known issue with Ansys FlexLM licenses when network is changed or a machine is put to sleep and woken up as the network ID changes when you reconnect. We have both an internal bug report on this, and Ansys is planning updates in future around this as well.  

At the moment, there is a new version of the Ansys License Manager available that reduces the timeout to 3 minutes previously 2 hours, so should help minimize downtime if your license gets “stuck” on the server after a network change / disconnect , machine sleep, or software crash .

The latest Windows release of the 2024 r1 License Manager is linked in the “Downloads” section of the activation article below. If your license server uses Linux then open a support case on Zemax.com and I can get your server admins in touch with Ansys to help. 

Important: This License manager version only needs to be installed on the license server, not any client machines running OpticStudio.

https://support.zemax.com/hc/en-us/articles/6621657653907-Ansys-Zemax-license-server-installation-and-activation 

Userlevel 3

We have one license per user and I don’t know why it is blocking me. I use the Zemax-Python API quite a bit and when some python scripts I’m working on are regularly crashing / in the debugging phase the license problem appears more frequently. But it has also happened when I closed my laptop during lunch and reopened it again after. It is very difficult to see where the “ghost license” use is happening also.  

Hi ejh,

In what environment do you run your python scripts (eg. just a “regular” script, or in a jupyter notebook/spyder/...).

If you run it as a regular script, the connection should be closed, also when it crashes. In ZOSPy, for example, has a finalizer implemented, and the boilerplate example codes have something similar. 

If you, however, run it via Jupyter or something similar, the variables associated to the connection are likely still present and thus the connection is not fully closed.