Zemax Error Message: Rounding digits must be between 0 and 15, inclusive. Parameter name: digits

• 23 June 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2

I'm repeatedly experiencing this error while MC tolerancing: 

Zemax Error Message: Rounding digits must be between 0 and 15, inclusive. Parameter name: digits

The error looks independent of the number of runs, even though it comes out randomly for <200runs and regularly for >200runs.

The error always prompts at the very end of the MC tolerance analysis, during the last set of runs, regardless of the number of runs set.

Design lockdown does not seem to have any beneficial effect.

If of any help, by googling around this came up:

https://pisquare.osisoft.com/thread/31742-calc-failedoutput-rounding-digits-must-be-between-0-and-15-inclusiveparameter-name-digits

which sends back to a a 'frac' function, unable to handle input values that are smaller than 0.1.

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi Alberto,

thank you for bringing this to our attention (and for the extra help googling around!). 

This was caused by a formatting bug when all values in one of the Tolerance Data Retention data series where zero. Our developers have been working on it and the issue has already been resolved.The fix will be included in our next service pack.

Sorry about the inconveniences that this may have cause.

Do not hesitate to get back to us should you need any further assistance!

Userlevel 2

Thank you for your prompt answer. Then, what can I do meanwhile? Is there any old version of Zemax which is free of this bug? Or are there any settings/tricks which I can set up to avoid the issue?

Thanks

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi Alberto,

According to the messages I've seen, the service pack is scheduled for release later today. When we hear something official, we will alert you.

Best regards,

Kevin

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

The fix for this is included in today's service pack, 20.2.1, found here:

https://my.zemax.com/en-US/opticstudio-downloads/

Userlevel 2

Thanks again, the bug seems fixed with the 20.2.1.

Userlevel 2

I follow up with just a small bug in version 20.2 and later. Nothing important, but still worth mentioning:

The System Explorer goes blank when opened by the vertical blue bar. Opening it from the bar button works fine.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hello Alberto,

Thanks for taking the time to report this issue. This is a known problem that can be reproduced both by customers and Zemax staff, particularly those who are using Intel graphics cards. Our development team has vigorously pursued a resolution, but it was determined that the root of this problem lies with the graphics card hardware, and is not resolved by simply updating the graphics card drivers. Future updates of the drivers may prove useful.

Apologies for the inconveniences, wish we could resolve this! In the meantime, besides using the Setup / System Explorer button, another workaround is using the shortcut keys to open the System Explorer. The default keyboard shortcut sing  is Ctrl + G to open the System Explorer, but it can be modified in Project Preferences if you have another preferred shortcut.

Best,

Csilla