Solved

Using Stop surfaces with curvature

• 6 September 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

Hello

I have an imaging lens setup in Zemax, with Ray Aiming ON.

Often times I see lens examples given with a separate surface for the stop. Such a surface is planar (Radius INF), and positioned where a physical aperture like a shutter is installed.

My question is. Is there any unrealistic effects, or penalties. If I were to use a curved lens element as the stop. Assuming ray-aiming on.

What if I went further, and made the single stop surface in air(which is usually Planar like a shutter) have a radius of curvature. If allowed the radius to vary, the optimizer will usually end up picking a non-INF value which often gives better performance for abberrations in simulation. Is this curved stop surface realistic and usable? The surface remains just a circular aperture in air.

icon

Best answer by Mark.Nicholson 6 September 2023, 18:31

View original

2 replies

Badge +2

I also wanted to add that.

This lens is using multiple field angles.

The object is located at infinity, but the design may also be adjusted for finite distance objects.

The stop size will be fixed in the physical design, as I would imagine it is not that simple to have a stop diaphragm vary according to a curved profile/with sag.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

There’s no problem with the stop being on a curved surface with power. It’s often the case that the aperture of a lens, or a lens mount, defines the system aperture.