User Defined Apertures and Obscurations

• 30 July 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I am working with the User Defined Obscurations as shown in the attached image.

It's supposed to be an 'obscuration', as shown in the left plot. 'Aperture type' is set to 'obscuration'.

It works as it should, but I can not see the obscuration in the footprint.

In the right image, I set 'Aperture type' to 'Aperture'. Again, it does what it should. AND I can see the Aperture, which is nice.

Why do I not see the obscuration if set to 'obscuration'? Is it a bug? Or am I doing something wrong?

This is the UDA file I am using:

--------------------------   

! Outer Disk                

CIR 0 -0.9 80 64                

BRK                

! Outline                

lin    61.9    -10.3        

lin    61.9    8.5        

arc    8.3    8.5    -90    16

lin    -8.3    62.1        

arc    -8.3    8.5    -90    16

lin    -61.9    -10.3        

arc    -8.3    -10.3    -90    16

lin    8.3    -63.9        

arc    8.3    -10.3    -90    16

BRK                

! X min max    -61.9    61.9        

! Y min max    -63.9    62.1        

! Fillet R    53.6            

! Decen X Y    0    -0.9        

! Full Width    123.8            

! Full Height    126           

userdefinedaperturesandobscurations.png

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hello Christoph,

I tested this with a couple other user defined obscurations and then some standard obscurations. It looks like the footprint diagram will trace the shape of the obscuration in all obscuration types except for the User Defined Obscurations. 

Since this is the behaviour for all UDAs, there is nothing you are doing wrong, so I will log this as a bug. I apologize for the inconvenience here and will let you know if our development team has any updates about this!

Userlevel 2
Badge

OK, thank you Kaleb! As it works already with 'Aperture', it should hopefully be an easy fix with 'obscuration'.

Best regards, Christof.

Badge

I found this discussion, having exactly the same question: why are user obscuration not drawn on the footprint diagram?? As far as I remember, it has always been like this in Zemax, it still is today (running ZOS 21.3), so I had assumed it is not a bug, but, really, I wonder why.

A workaround is to inverse the logic of your aperture definition by adding a larger polygon in which the other apertures are nested, then set the aperture type to “User Aperture”.