Solved

Use polarization energy loss

• 21 March 2022
  • 3 replies

Dear colleagues,

To make a right modeling of optical system in NSC mode I always have to choose “Use Polarization” in Ray Trace Control to get a right value of rays total hits of detector ?

Below is detector imag in the middle of which is sapphire standart lense that reflects almost all rays if I “Use Polarization”. Detector is behind the lense.

Is polarization so strongly impact the ray tracing ?

icon

Best answer by David 21 March 2022, 18:22

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi Arkadiy,

Use Polarization is necessary to mode Fresnel reflections. If Use Polarization is not checked then the losses due to reflections from the air-glass interface would not be modeled. It is also possible that the shadow of the lens on the detector is caused by refraction by the lens directing rays away from the shadow region on the detector. But we would need to see more of the layout to know this.

The short answer is ‘yes.’  To obtain accurate modeling of transmitted power, Use Polarzation needs to be checked. To model reflected rays Split NSC Rays needs to also be checked.

Hi David!  Thanks for help.

Below is the layot. The ray source is inside of reflective cavity. The array shows the detector position. The next to detector is sapphire lense. 

Sorry) I had founded why thats happend. The lense front surface have some table filter. Without of it polarization effect is much less.