Question

Understanding RAID operand and Field Points

• 2 October 2023
  • 1 reply

In sequential mode, If I define my system such that nothing is filled in the Field editor, so field is zero. And I set Object Space NA: 0.01. 

What does the field editor do? I am always confused with it. Does it create an  object Height? 

Now I want to use RAID operand to find the angle of incidence to some surface. RAID takes in field and pupil coordinates, if I choose these coordinates at random, are they still within the 0.01 NA? How does the Object Space NA play a role in this? Specially if I am setting zeros in my Field editor. Thanks in advance for your reply.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @anis2073,

The Object Space NA is independant of the object height. In the screenshot below, I have a single field at 0.0 as you described, and I changed the Object Space NA from 0.2 (blue rays) to 0.4 (green rays):

The only difference is the solid angle that subtend the rays. The cone of light described by the blue rays is more “narrow”. There is no notion of object height here.

For your second question, if you have a single field at 0.0. Then, it doesn’t matter what value of Hx and Hy you use in RAID. They will always be zero (your starting point). The Help File (F1) has a section Normalized Field Coordinates that you may be interested in.

Then, if you choose Px and Py randomly but in a way that:

Then, the random ray should be within the cone described by the NA. A larger Object Space NA means a larger system aperture stop, but RAID uses normalized coordinates in the interval [-1, 1]. So, whatever the value of your Object Space NA, if you select Px and Py as described above, you will still sample your entire aperture (or cone).

Does that make sense? I hope I understood the question correctly.

Take care,

David