Solved

Trying to model a double-pass through an objective Black Box?

• 1 February 2024
  • 1 reply

Hi,

So I’ve been trying to model a system that involves using light that passes through some optical elements into the back pupil of a microscope objective, focuses onto a mirror, and then reflects back through the objective (Thorlabs - TL10X-2P 10X Super Apochromatic Microscope Objective, 0.5 NA, 7.77 mm WD). Both the forward and reverse blackbox files are directly available for download on Thorlabs website, but my attempts so far to actually model using them haven’t been successful unfortunately. 

The first pass works as expected, since that’s pretty much just taking the already available forward blackbox file. The issue comes with regards to trying to correctly define the backwards path (or if it’s even possible and instead I have to try and break the simulation up into two different setups for each pass). I’ve tried a variety of attempts that end up with either none of the reversed rays seemingly interacting with the reverse blackbox, or where the spot diagram for the image plane will only show a single point in the middle. I attached an attempt where I tried to ensure the reverse blackbox is in the same position as the forward one, as well as the available blackbox files. I’ve also tried with different objectives (with their respective forward and reverse blackboxes), and ran into similar difficulties. It feels like it’s an issue where the blackbox files (both forward and reverse) are defined in a forward thickness, so in order to place the reverse blackbox in the correct location the rays are just being traced to the beginning of the reverse blackbox without actually being able to pass through it?

Is there a best practice/trick/something straightfoward I’m missing when it comes to trying to do a simulation like this? Or is it even possible?

icon

Best answer by Sean Turner 2 February 2024, 15:59

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

The black box files are both set up in forward direction. The purpose of providing both files is to allow users to place the objective in either orientation in their system. This was done prior to OpticStudio adding a feature to reverse a black box lens in 2021.

The black box files only work after a mirror if they were created in this configuration. You will need to contact Thorlabs to see if they will provide you with new black box files configured to be used after a mirror. 

From help file:
However, in a system with mirrors, a Black Box Lens surface will only work correctly if the file is properly configured after either an even or odd number of mirrors, as was the configuration for the original file.

This means care should be taken when manually adding mirrors before a Black Box Lens as this can lead to rays being traced incorrectly and incorrect results being displayed without an error message. In particular, tools that automatically add mirrors to the system (Add Fold Mirror and Make Double Pass) should not be used with a Black Box Lens as they will generate incorrect results without an error message.