Solved

Simulation of existing optical illumination system and then making it compact by reducing the size of lens in it.

• 8 October 2022
  • 1 reply

I am trying to simulate an optical illumination system.

Description:

• The main source is LED, light from it is carried out by a Multimode optical fiber cable whose end is fixed into a focusing light tube.
  • This focusing light tube provides complete TIR to light entered into it and then focusses it into a circular spot using a plano-convex lens.

Problem caused:

• I have set up the system in Zemax with all the specifications I have but, facing problems with focusing the light into a spot at the required working distance.
  • The required working distance is 150mm from the position of a convex lens which is also inside a focusing light tube.
  1. My idea was to initially simulate the existing system and then replace the existing plano-convex lens with a smaller lens and adjust the system such that I can get the same spot size as the existing system.
  2. please give me your suggestions on how I can proceed further to obtain a circular spot with the existing simulation, as I attached the simulation file below.
  3. Kindly suggest to me any lenses or prisms that can bend the light entered into them by 10-14 degrees.

I have attached the file below please review it and provide your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by Ethan 27 December 2022, 19:05

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @Suguna,

This sounds like an interesting project! The file that you shared is only a ZDA file. For us to see your design, you need to share a ZMX, ZOS, or ZAR file. Without reviewing the design, I’ll just make some general comments/suggestions:

1.  You can use the OpticStudio optimization tools to create optimized surfaces that fit your specific design requirements, a compact system with a circular spot and specific working distance. For more information to get started, please see this Knowledgebase article: How to optimize non-sequential optical systems – Knowledgebase (zemax.com).
  2. If you are having trouble designing the lens, you can consider first creating a design in Sequential Mode. Of course, you won’t be able to simulate all the complexity of the multi-modal fiber interacting with a light tube, but it could give you a place to start. In Sequential Mode, it will be very straightforward to study working distance and spot shape/size. Then you can port that design back to Non-Sequential and further modify as necessary.
  3. It’s difficult to give you an exact lens recommendation, but using Sequential mode, there are many tools for optimizing the surfaces (or even creating a group of surfaces) that will get you closer to the intended design. Check out this Knowledgebase article: How to design a singlet lens, Part 3: Optimization – Knowledgebase (zemax.com)

I hope this helps.

Best,
Ethan