Question

Simulating Linear Variable Filter

• 15 November 2022
  • 0 replies

Dear Zemax Community,

(and of course, Dear Sandrine Auriol and Csilla Timar-Fulep, who wrote me some useful hints nearly year ago),

After some break I am still eager to simulate a Linear Variable Filter (LVF), but with all previous information available (“How to read static data file into user-defined surface”__or Example Zemax/DLL/SurfaceScatter , etc.) unfortunately I cannot properly start the simulation because of the dozens of questions about the programming.

Please see as a demonstration only some columns from my LVF transmission data (see Figure). The LVF is nearly 25 mm long and on every longitudinal position transmits a certain spectral bandwidth (from 450-850 nm). I present you the simplified data in an unusual way*, but maybe in such a way it is more suitable for OpticStudio – intensity of a certain wavelengths along the filter direction. So, in my opinion using data in such representation I need 3 DLLs (or 3 configurations in ConfigEditor): every dll(or configuration) for every wavelength. Am I right?

The problem that I see is that I need to simulate not three, but at least maybe 50 or 100 wavelengths to properly see all the features of my future LVF-based-spectrometer. Is it possible to ask somebody to show me how to change maybe the well-known example “Reading_filter.ZMX” to work with this issue? (Dear Sandrine, your proposed Scattering example was too complicated for me).  Or maybe someone can even compile the example, and then everyone in the community can use their own measured static data to start the simulation with LVF-based systems?

*usually the transmission data of the LVF is large and comprise a fine wavelengths information for every longitudinal position of the filter (e.g., in 0,5 mm step).

I would greatly appreciate all your answers.

Best Regards

Aliaksei Kobylinskiy

0 replies

Be the first to reply!