Solved

Simulating a target genarated by a collimator

• 11 February 2021
  • 1 reply

Hello,

I am working on a very simple system, consisting of just one lens element (THORLABS 354330-B) from the library with a wavelength of 940 nm.

The lens works fine for on axis point source however with of axis points, even as small as 4-6° the performance deteriorates which is understandable due to coma. I tried to stop down the lens which made the results slightly better. 

What I want to do is to somehow simulate a target similar to the one that my collimator (TRIOPTICS IMAGE MASTER HR) generates, which is a cross. I want to simulate this because we will very soon try and run a few experiments with the lens on the collimator to measure some variables, mostly MTF.

Is there a possibility to simulate a target similar to the equipment that we use for measurements? This will help us understand the results better and make it easier to compare simulation and measured variables.

I am attaching the ZEMAX files for reference. Any leads are highly appreciated.

Best regards,

Amit Pandey

icon

Best answer by Angel Morales 11 February 2021, 18:02

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi Amit,

Thanks for posting on the forums!

I think you could use either the Image Simulation or Geometric Bitmap Image Analysis tools for your needs. I noticed you had some Image Simulation windows open in your file already. In case you hadn't read through it already, I would highly recommend this article as another resource to see how Image Simulation can be set up. We also have this webinar which covers a few different tools that OpticStudio has in simulating images (including some discussion on Geometric Image Analysis, which is very similar to Geometric Bitmap Image Analysis, except that GIA can only read in .IMA files).

For both Image Simulation and GBIA, you can specify BMP, JPG, and PNG files as inputs for the analysis. So, if you had an image file of your target, you could save it to the appropriate folder (the default when installing OpticStudio is 'C:\\...\Zemax\IMAFiles'), which can then be read in by IS or GBIA:

Let us know how these thoughts work out for you, or if you have any more questions here!

~ Angel