Question

Save .ZMX files by default

• 22 November 2021
  • 6 replies

I’d like to save my OpticStudio files as .zmx by default to preserve compatibility with older versions of OpticStudio that my colleagues may be running. Manually saving .zos files as .zmx is functional but tedious - will the feature to change default save type ever be added?

Thanks!

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

A big +1 on this.  I’d rather default to *.zmx format and only use *.zos when working with proprietary files.  I’m sticking with 21.2.2 until this can happen.

Badge

+1 from me also, not everyone has switched yet.

Is there anywhere (knowledge base article, forum thread) an explanation of the reasons to move away from a human readable format ? The release notes just “This provides better file security when stored on disk, for archiving purposes, and when sharing files” but don’t explain how/why.

+1 from me as well.

I’ve already run into a situation where a colleague created a file without realizing the change in file format had even been implemented. The file then could not be opened by a customer. It took a large number of emails before the problem was solved. Lots of time wasted.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

+1 for me.  Please allow the user to decide which default format to use.  I’ve been a Zemax customer for over 25 years, and never once had a problem with the .zmx format being “insecure,” which seems to be the primary justification for introducing the .zos format.  There are plenty of ways to secure a .zmx file if needed.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

OK, I’ll say it right out.  The new file format seems to be a deliberate means of forcing us to stay pregnant, by having to renew subscription licenses or never reading our files created after 21.2.2 again.  I’m staying with my permanent license, hardware key and 21.2.2.  Code V and FRED are always alternatives if Zemax doesn’t re-implement *.zmx files again.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I was just pushing back against the stated rationale for the change, but I agree it’s a fairly blatant move to undercut the utility of existing perpetual licenses.  Zemax (the company) of old is long gone…