Question

Reflection and transmission coefficients of IDEAL coatings

• 16 January 2024
  • 4 replies

The definition statement of IDEAL coatings is as follows,
Syntax: IDEAL <name> T R TIR
Here the transmittance and reflectivity of the ideal coating are defined. I tried to define several ideal coatings and then performed polarization ray tracing. The analysis results showed that the transmittance analysis was reasonable, but compared with the actual coating, the polarization pupil diagram was not significantly different.

Ideal Coating Data

I would like to know whether OpticStusio considers polarization issues for ideal coatings. How are the transmission coefficient and reflection coefficient calculated when performing polarized ray tracing? Are there any regulations?

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Try to create a coat based on the TABLE option. It allow to set different values for p and s components.

@Andrey.Pravdivtsev Thanks. I only know the transmittance T and reflectance R of the ideal coating layer, but I don’t know the transmission coefficient t and reflection coefficient r for s-light or p-light. What I doubt is how OpticStudio obtains the transmission coefficient and reflection coefficient, and whether it can I get polarization results correctly.

Userlevel 3
Badge

You should use real coatings so. I am afraid that for IDEAL option Zemaz use the same values for s and p.

@Andrey.Pravdivtsev This is because there is a need to use ideal coating. I don't know how ts and tp are calculated, which makes me wonder if the depolarization at the edge of the aperture is correct.