Solved

Recreating what the human eye sees

• 18 March 2022
  • 2 replies

• Single Emitter
  • 0 replies

Hi,

I’m working on a project to understand higher order aberrations in the human eye. I have obtained some Zernike coefficients data of patients, the wavelength at which the measurement was performed at (840nm), and their pupil diameters.

As I don’t have the ROC of the lens in the eye, is it possible to model this in Zemax? I would like to use the “Extended Scene Analysis” to visualize what the patient sees, based on his/her Zernike coefficients.

I have read the article “How to model a black-box optical system using Zernike coefficients”, but don’t quite understand how to determine the exit pupil position.

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by Csilla Timar-Fulep 27 April 2022, 17:05

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi Yao,

Thanks for your post here on the Community Forums.

What I think you can do in this case that you have the measured Zernike coefficients of specific patients but you don’t have any anatomical data on their eyes, you can start with an average eye model like the ones used in these articles:
OpticStudio models of the human eye – Knowledgebase (zemax.com)
How to model the human eye in OpticStudio – Knowledgebase (zemax.com)
Then you can modify the front surface of the lens, right after the pupil, i.e. the STOP in the eye, to be a Zernike surface, and you can optimize the coefficients of that Zernike surface so that the monochromatic OPD equals the measured wavefront shape at the reference wavelength. For the optimization you can use the ZERN optimization operands and set the targets based on the measurement results. We discussed this personalization process of eye models in detail in this paper:
Simulation of visual acuity by personalizable neuro-physiological model of the human eye | Scientific Reports (nature.com)

Finally, I would like to refer to this knowledgebase article to review the details of wavefront measurements using Shack-Hartmann sensors:
Modelling of a Shack-Hartmann Sensor for eye aberration evaluation – Knowledgebase (zemax.com)

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions, please ask.

Best,
Csilla

Hi,

I have read the “Human eye model” provided in the link below, from Zemax:

https://support.zemax.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500005575002-How-to-model-the-human-eye-in-OpticStudio

The parameters for the patient’s eye are provided (lens radii, thicknesses, etc).

Which parameter of this patient eye is different from a normal eye?

Thank you.