Solved

Ray Tracing with GPU

• 22 August 2020
  • 5 replies

Is there a way to accelerate ray tracing using Nvidia- GPU ?

icon

Best answer by Allie 4 August 2021, 18:47

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Aditya,

If your question relates to OpticStudio, then the answer is no for raytracing, to the best of my knowledge. However, if you are talking about the raytracing problem in general, its a different story. In my opinion, I think raytracing can be parallelized using GPU, and depending on the number of rays to be traced there might be a significant speed improvement.

Hope this helps.

Take care,

David

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Aditya and David,

OpticStudio does not have GPU ray tracing built in, but other customers have been able to utilize CUDA for large ray traces. In fact, we have a webinar on this here: https://www.zemax.com/blogs/webinars/gpu-optimized-light-tissue-simulation-integrated-with-the-opticstudio-api

In the webinar, the OpticStudio ray trace and the CUDA ray trace are performed separately, but they show it is possible to link the two processes. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Allie,

This sounds intresting, it sounds like a kind of hybrid way of splitting the work across the GPUs.

Thanks for sharing this resource.

Take care,

David

Userlevel 1

Does zemax have any plans to update opticstudio to include natively utilizing graphics cards in the future?

Hi Aditya and David,

OpticStudio does not have GPU ray tracing built in, but other customers have been able to utilize CUDA for large ray traces. In fact, we have a webinar on this here: https://www.zemax.com/blogs/webinars/gpu-optimized-light-tissue-simulation-integrated-with-the-opticstudio-api

In the webinar, the OpticStudio ray trace and the CUDA ray trace are performed separately, but they show it is possible to link the two processes. 

Hi Allie,

The link to the webinar seems to be broken. Is there a way to access it?

Thank you,

Elazar