Solved

POP alternative for ZBF analysis

• 18 December 2023
  • 4 replies

Hello Zemax community,

I have a source (ZBF) file which is Gaussian-like in one axis and Lorentzian-like in the other. In addition to the ZBF file, I also have the x and y cross-section far-field angular distribution of power (something like a representative goniometric scan in both axes).

Source near-field:

Source far-field:

I am re-imaging the source through an optimized lens pair, with the goal of understanding the resulting image plane characteristics - primarily understanding if/how diffraction effects through the lens pair might result in an enlarged / rounded spot. Initially, I thought POP would be suitable, but the NA of the source seems to be too large, so I am looking for another way to accurately characterize the resulting image.

Looking for some advice on a good alternative approach.

- Partially coherent image analysis starting with the ZBF as object?

- Ray optics / Huygens PSF? Is there a way to mimic the Lorentzian-like profile in one axis only for the apodization factor?

Appreciate any thoughts / feedback. Thank you in advance!

Andrei

icon

Best answer by Jeff.Wilde 18 December 2023, 07:49

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Andrei.Kazmierski 

I like the Partially Coherent Image Analysis (PCIA) approach, using it to model coherent imaging with your ZBF file.  It’s a small object field, which is good for PCIA.  This approach essentially calculates the convolution of an ideal image (a scaled version of the ZBF amplitude object) with the amplitude PSF of the imaging system, and then displays the resulting intensity image.  

Regards,

Jeff

Hello @Jeff.Wilde  - thanks! The PCIA approach seems to be working for me. I have one other question I hope you don’t mind answering: For my initial design, I have a 1x magnification lens pair. My source (ZBF) file is 15x15um, so I have chosen the PCIA file size parameter to be 0.015. If I re-design for >1x magnification with the lens pair, should file size scale accordingly? (this seems to make sense in the image I see - ie, when I increase to 4x magnification, scaling file size to 0.060 gives me the image I expect)

Regards,

Andrei

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi Andrei,

Yes, for a square object file in PCIA, the “file size” should correspond to the size of this object file as it appears in image space, which is just the object size multiplied by the magnification. 

For a rectangular object file, the “file size” should be the largest linear dimension of the object file scaled by the magnification.

Regards,

Jeff

Thanks again @Jeff.Wilde  - it worked out very nicely.

Regards,

Andrei