Solved

Polarization analysis in NSC

• 7 February 2023
  • 3 replies

How to simulate a linear polarized light beam which is formed by one left-handed circularly polarized light beam and one right-handed circularly polarized light beam in the NSC Mode? At present, I have tried to realize that phenomenon in NSC with Jones-matrix QWP and polarization analyzer,but the final ouput light beam seems not a linear polarized state. If this polarized phenomenon cannot be realized in NSC Mode? How to getting the detailed polarization analysis in NSC (while there is Polarization Pupil Map in Sequential mode)? 

icon

Best answer by Mark.Nicholson 9 February 2023, 19:05

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Probably best to simply model the linearly polarized beam.

I imagine you have two sources, one left-hand circular and the other right-hand circular. The problem is, any individual ray will be either left or right handed...the rays don’t mix their polarization states.

Remember OS does not model ‘beams’, it models rays. It sounds like you need to do some Stokes-like summation to get a beam polarization state.

Thank you, Mark!  The case is just as what you said.

If it is convenient, please give some guides about how to  “do some Stokes-like summation to get a beam polarization state”or get the real  “beam”state  in OpticStudio ? If I need the function of Batch Processing of Ray Trace Data using ZOS-API in MATLAB or Python ?

Looking forward to your reply!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

You can convert between Jones and Mueller matrices, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mueller_calculus

Note that you cannot go the other way, from Mueller to Jones, as the Mueller calculation loses the phase of the ray