Peak irradiance in merit function

• 25 October 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Hay,

Does anyone know how to extract peak irradiance from sequential geometric analysis in a merit function. Previously I have done this in Nseq using NSDD.

Thanks

Matthew

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Anyone 🙂 ?
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi Matthew,

For a visual inspection, you could use Geometric Image Analysis (like False Color view) and look at the top value in the scale bar. However, I don't know of a simple way to extract the top value into the merit function. This could potentially be done with a macro ZPLM operand, by updating the analysis, reading the text output, saving the largest value, and then reporting that to the MFE. However, I haven't seen this done before. Most people move over to non-sequential mode because it allows for more realistic definition of your source rays, whereas sequential mode has more simplistic assumptions about the spatial and angular distribution of light entering your system.

Can anyone please help I will be very thankful.

How NSDD can be used to extract the power in Non-sequential mode? 

I am using the NSDD (1,0,0,1) and then using the NSTR to analyze the data. the output of the command NSDD is giving the 0 output.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hello Faheem,

Thanks for your question here!

In order to read the power using the NSDD operand, you should first clear the detector. If you would like to clear all the detectors, please set Det# 0 (it refers to Object 0,which does not exist; no Object 0 can exist), so this special usage of the operand clears all detectors. Alternately, detectors may be cleared on an individual basis by defining a negative number (i.e. Det# = -3 clears only detector 3). This is useful in a system with multiple detectors defined. Next, you should insert an NSTR operand, which tells OpticStudio to trace rays. Finally, you should insert a second NSDD operand to read out detector data. Please set the Det# parameter to refer to the detector object, and use Pix# = 0 to extract the total flux on the detector.

You may read more about this topic in the following knowledgebase article: How to optimize non-sequential optical systems

Best,

Csilla

I am very thankful to your kind response.

It is working. Thanks alot