Solved

Overlapping Detectors while collecting all the light

• 16 February 2020
  • 3 replies

I have a problem where I have an LED and multiple flat detectors placed at the same distance, so the detectors all overlap but have different sizes, like 1cm^2, 5cm^2 etc.

Because the detectors do not have ABSORB, they pass the light through so all the detectors should see the light, but if they are placed at the same location, ie same Z distance, then they only detect light as if they are blocking each other.

The issue can be resolved by spacing them out apart by 0.001mm but I'm wondering if that's a bug.
icon

Best answer by David 17 February 2020, 00:38

View original

3 replies

Also what role if any does the position index play in detector object for non-sequential simulation?
Userlevel 6
Badge +4

It's not a bug. It is an effect of the Overlapping Objects Rule:

"When two or more objects occupy the same region of space, a simple rule applies. The properties of the common region are defined by whichever object is listed last in the Non-Sequential Component Editor."

The rule is useful, For example, you can put a hole through a glass object by placing a cylinder of air after the object so as to overlap where the hole is to be formed. Your strategy of separating the detectors by more than the glue distance is a good method.

As to the index, if you mean the position in the Non-sequential Component Editor, the only significance I think of right away is the effect on the use of reference objects or on references for pick-ups, where these need to precede the target.

Kind regards,

David 

I was trying to use the rule with detector polar but it seem doesn’t work the same with detector rectangle. 

I need polar detector with hole in it.

How can i work with that?