Skip to main content

I’ve got two questions about using diffractive elements in NSC.

1. Is there a simple way to pick up diffraction direction so I can put the next element in the correct location?  The only way I’ve found is to use a ZPL solve which has to be unique to the specific object in order to pull out all the information about the lines/um, orientation, etc.  I could even do it in multiple steps with pickups, but none of the math functions are available in the in editor pickup options.  Alternatively, is there a way to make Zemax trace one ray and use that as the direction to the next object?
  2. Modeling a rectangular diffraction grating. I’ve tried two approaches:
    1. One is creating a boolean of a native diffraction grating and rectangular volume, but that seems to give different diffraction differently than it does if I just use the native grating
    2. I know that there is the UDO/DLL, which has tons of different grating types in it, but I am running into two problems with doing that.  First I can’t find a sufficient explanation of the various parameters to know how to set it up.  Second, I don’t see any way to optimize any of those parameters, since they are not available in the LDE

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! 

@dkominsky:

1. Regarding use of a “probe ray” for locating objects in NSC mode, this previous post may be of some help :

2. For a rectangular grating, the help documentation points you to a simple solution:

Here is a simple example:

Regards,

Jeff