Solved

NSC Surface to object

• 9 March 2023
  • 3 replies

I’m trying to model an anamorphic lens in non-sequential mode. The lens is planar on the incident side, and aspherical on the output side, with different asphere equations for x and y coordinates.

The ‘Aspheric Surface 2’ seems to offer what I need in terms of the ability to specify different conic coefficients for x and y, but I cannot figure out how to create a volume from this. The format used in sequential mode, where the surface is preceded by a standard surface where the material is specified doesn’t work.

Presumably the solution will be the same for any of the surface geometries offered in NSC mode, but all the examples and knowledgebase articles I can find apply mirror coatings to these surfaces, so they are modelled as infinitely thin shells.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

icon

Best answer by Jeff.Wilde 10 March 2023, 00:33

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I think what you may be looking for is a Biconic Lens:

or perhaps a Biconic Zernike Lens if you want even more control over the aspherical shape.

However, if you want to construct a lens using a surface, take a look at the Compound Lens object.

Regards,
Jeff

Oooh! Biconic Zernike gets me exactly what I need, (I need to be able to define the higher order terms that a regular biconic lens does not), thankyou!

The compound lens object will undoubtedly be useful in the future. Thank you.

A follow-up question:

Having generated my biconic Zernike lens profile, I now need to export the coefficients to include on a print. I could fairly easily copy and paste the row from the editor into Excel, then write a script to generate the text to include on the drawing. I’m sure there’s a way one could do this natively in OpticStudio through the ZPI interface also. However, I feel like this is a common enough requirement that it should be supported without writing one’s own scripts? Reminder that I need to be able to do this in non-sequential mode. Looks like there might be a tool to do this for an aspheric surface in sequential mode, but that wont help me here.

Thanks again in advance.