Solved

NSC ray trace: total hits = 2x analysis rays

• 22 July 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi everyone,

I am pretty new to Zemax and I am very confused with the NSC detector.

Here is my setup consisting a beam source, prism (polygonal object) and detector - nothing fancy.

And here are the detector results:

Basically, I want to detect the deflection through a prism with a gradient refractive index (gradient 3 to be precise) and detect it. But if you take a closer look at the detector results, you will notice 2 anomalies:

1. It depicts 200000 total hits but I have set up only 100000 analysis rays which is 50% of it.
  2. You can see an outer and an inner part of beam rays which is confusing. I think the inner part represents the “real” beam rays but I cannot explain the outer part of it. I assume that the outer part of the detected rays are causing another 100k rays and therefore double the analysis rays.

I would be delighted if anyone can help me out! :)

Zu

icon

Best answer by David 22 July 2023, 21:55

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

The polygon object is not included in your zip file. The best thing to do is to save the file as a ZAR (Save as / ZAR). The ZAR file can be attached in a ZIP file and will include everything needed to open the design.

Note that if the detector is showing less power than launched, and ray splitting is on, you could have more strikes on the detector than rays launched.

Hi David,

I just came to the same conclusion, you are totally right. I just didn’t thought of ray splitting because I didn’t see any scattered/split rays in my 3D Layout.

Anyways, thank you very much!!

Zu

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

You’re welcome, Zu. It’s likely splitting was turned on for the ray trace, but not in the layout