Solved

Non sequential merit function and polar detector

• 31 August 2022
  • 1 reply

Hi all!

My system is a two prism system in Risley configuration:

I need to find the exact prisms orientation in order to redirect light straight at the exit. I numerically calculated them, but ray trace tells me I am slightly off.

In order to check it, I am using a polar detector and my goal is to have theta=0 (first column of the extracted .txt file full with power value).  

I have built a merit function , trying to follow what is encompassed in here and replacing the polar detector with a rectangular detector: https://support.zemax.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500005576602-How-to-optimize-non-sequential-optical-systems

My system has become: 

At zero degrees incident field, the angular irradiance show 0,0 which seems to be correct:

If I tilt the input beam of about 15 deg, after optimization the polar detector shows still some misalignement:

What could be the problem?

Thank you for your help,

best,

Giulia.

icon

Best answer by Kevin Scales 13 September 2022, 18:16

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Using the Detector Polar is a valid and recommended method to get a collimated beam. The main issue in the scenario above is that for that particular detector, be sure to use an NSDP operand rather than the NSDD. The Pix should be set to -4. Anyone using the Detector Polar should be sure to use this operand. Another option is to use Detector Rectangle and NSDD options, with the Data set to 2 for angle space information (as you have done in some of these).