Solved

Non sequential color pixels by last analysis not working

• 17 March 2022
  • 3 replies

Hello 

For some reason color pixels by last analysis on my detector is not working….. it remains black even though the detector tab provides a nice gaussian image. I am not sure why it always remains black . I played with alot of settings but it remains black . The zemax sample files however do allow me to view color pixels 

I have attached the file for reference. 

Thanks

Zak

icon

Best answer by David.Nguyen 18 March 2022, 14:33

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Zak,

Looking at your file, it seems the problem is steming from the number of pixels on your detector. I’m not entirely sure what is happening, but if you use 512 by 512 pixels, it seems to be working (at least on my laptop). It could be a memory issue.

The other thing to consider is that 1440 x 1080 is about 1.5 million pixels. Zemax typically recommends 100 rays per pixel as a rule of thumb to avoid undersampling. In your case, the beam only occupies a smaller region of the detector and most pixels are zero, which helps, but you might want to consider reducing the size of the detector and/or the number of pixels.

Not really a solution, but I hope it helps.

Take care,

David

Hi David 

Thanks for your response. I tried your solution and yes it works and even at 1080 x 1080 it still works.  Perhaps there is an upper limit on how many pixels you can view on the 3d viewer and thanks for your suggestion to reduce the detector size.

Zak

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Zak,

It is my pleasure. It kind of makes sense, at some point you’ll be limited by the resolution of your monitor anyway.

As a side note, I understand that to reproduce a real life situation you’d want to have the same kind of detector in OpticStudio. However, in terms of simulation efficiency, it might not be the best idea to have a 1440 x 1080 pixels detector. If most pixels are zero, it’ll just slow down the raytracing without bringing much information, and if those pixels aren’t zero, you’ll need to trace much more rays to get a consistent result, which can easily get out of hands. I’d recommend to consider what you want to measure and what is the simplest model that’ll get you there.

Take care,

David