• 29 March 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I often use a combination of:

•     Null Objects
  •     Spheres
  •     CAD objects

that are not traced (rays never interact).  I do this to create reference coordinate systems and CAD objects for rendering and context.

When I exceed about (x15) to (x20) objects in the NCE, there is a noticeable reduction in performance with this editor.  It takes longer to scroll, navigate, open detailed menus.  I’m concerned that all my extra objects are potentially causing a drop in performance that I don’t want to experience.

I expect the sphere and CAD object to place a burden on rendering the 3D layout, but...

Question 1:  Do these objects place a computational burden on the editor or ray tracing?

Question 2:  What is the computational burden so I can avoid over using these objects?

icon

Best answer by Mark.Nicholson 30 March 2022, 17:57

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hey Brian,

I wouldn’t have expected null objects and ignored objects to slow the editor down, so it may be worth sending a sample to support so they can see what’s going on. In the meantime, have you tried using the Express mode of the editor? That cuts out all the support functions and just focuses on speed.

• Mark
Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Mark,

Always good to hear from you.  I will try this to see if anecdotally I can see if this affects my user experience.

Given it is a user experience, I wish I could perform a more objective (quantifiable) test.

Best,

Brian

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi Brian,

I tried to put together a system to see this and was not able to reproduce it, but I didn’t have a real system to work with. I’d go with Mark’s suggestion and open a case so we can look directly at the issue. It may be the case, particularly with CAD items, that the behind-the-scenes calculations are paying more attention than need-be to the objects, especially if it is a complicated render to display them. An ignored and non-displayed complicated item case still use up computation power if it is a parent object to some other object. We can determine more if you have a case to show us.