Solved

Multiple detectors and merit function

• 14 July 2020
  • 2 replies

Dear all,

I have a NS system with multiple detectors and 2 design variables. I need a merit function taking the weighted sum of their total power for the 2D universal plot (only 2 different weights). Any idea how to do that?

An alternative I've identified is to make a big detector with a mask on top (apertures = small detectors of the first weight), run the 2D univeral plot and then do it again with another large detector and mask for the small detectors of the 2nd weight. Then perform the weighted sum outside of OpticStudio. Still knowing whether it is possible or not to add the total power of multiple detectors as merit function would be valuable, and probably not only to me.

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

icon

Best answer by Csilla Timar-Fulep 14 July 2020, 11:49

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hello Frédéric,

Thanks for your question here!

In the Merit Function Editor, you can use the NSDD operand with Pix#=0 and Data=0 to read out the total power of a detector. Then you can give different weights to each detector output by using the PROB operand. The PROB operand multiplies the value of the operand defined by Op# by the factor defined by Factor. Finally, you can sum the previously weighted values by using the OSUM operand. OSUM sums the values of all operands between the two operands defined by Op#1 and Op#2.

You may find more information about the applied general math operands in the Help file under: The Optimize Tab (sequential ui mode) > Automatic Optimization Group > Merit Function Editor (automatic optimization group) > Optimization Operands by Category > General Math Operands.

For 2 different detectors, the Merit Function would look like this:

Then, in the Universal Plot 2D, you can set the Dependent Variable Z to report the current system merit function by selecting 'Merit' for the 'Operand'. If the system merit function is selected, then either the entire merit function or any specific operand’s value may be selected using

the 'Line' control. In the 'Line' control you should select the line that calculates the weighted sum by OSUM:

If you have any further questions, please let us know, and we will be happy to help!

Best,

Csilla 

Thank you very much Csilla Timar-Fulep!