Solved

Modeling the diffraction efficiency of a volume hologram in a waveguide using Hologram Lens object

• 24 January 2022
  • 1 reply

Hello Zemax Support Team,

I’m trying to model a volume hologram in a film inside a glass substrate. In particular, I’d like to be able to calculate the diffraction efficiency of the structure. However, the system seems to have an unreasonable polarization dependence which causes energy to not be conserved for some polarization states such that {input_power ≠ diffracted_power (1st order) + transmitted_power (0-order)}.

I am using the volume hologram feature (set to 1) in the Hologram Lens object in non-sequential mode. Collimated input laser beam is normal to the glass and the outcoupled beam totally internally reflects inside the glass substrate upon diffraction. I have 2 monitors: 1) color detector capturing the 0-order transmission and, 2) color detector capturing the 1st diffraction order. X-linearly polarized light and Y-linearly polarized light produce different diffraction efficiencies, as expected. However, for linear X polarization the sum of the 1st-order diffraction and 0-order transmission is much less than 100% (about 70%).

How can I resolve this issue?

Thanks,

Erfan

icon

Best answer by Önder.Sönmez 2 March 2022, 14:20

View original