Mixing Sequential mode and Non- Sequential mode in one system

• 11 January 2021
  • 1 reply

Hello everyone, I need your kindness help for some problems that I had. I try to make a system that use both sequential and non-sequential mode by mixing them. I use “How to model a mixed sequential/non-sequential system” as my reference from the zemax support.

My plan system is as Fig  below which mean that laser output and image is sequential mode, and BS, mirror as a non-sequential mode. The entry port is before BS and exit port is before image.

Unfortunately, I had a problem which is my reflected light from the mirror had gone into the BS again but why the light did not reflect to the image. I had attached my file below as reference. One of the file is only the system I made using non-sequential, and another one is the mixing of sequential and no- sequential.

Can someone correct my system or had another idea on how to fix it.

I really hope someone can teach me because I did not know whether there is some mistake, or I did not have enough knowledge about it. Thank you.

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hello,

The issue here is that mixed-mode objects cannot split the rays the way a normal non-sequential object is capable of doing. The main purpose behind the mixed mode object is to be able to take the geometry of something that is not modeled well in sequential mode directly but treat it as a sequential series of surfaces nonetheless. Some fundamental aspects of non-sequential mode, however, are lost, and this includes splitting, which is not a normal part of sequential mode.

As you've seen, you can do the beam splitter easily in non-sequential mode. You also have the option to model one entirely in sequential mode using different configurations to model the effects of different paths. We have a KnowledgeBase article on this, 'How to model a beam splitter in Sequential Mode', located at https://my.zemax.com/en-US/Knowledge-Base/kb-article/?ka=KA-01588. It contains a thorough description and sample files that you may use as a template.

Best wish,

Kevin