Solved

Lens placement in SQ mode - BASIC Query

• 18 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi

I am working on calculating the coupling efficiency of a multimode fiber from a simple aspheric lens system using the optimization feature. I tried first with NSQ mode (below picture) but realised after seeing the article below that SQ is more appropriate in my case. 

https://support.zemax.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500005486601-How-to-model-multi-mode-fiber-coupling

in SQ mode, I have issues placing the lenses within their focal distance from each other and get the following:

This question must be really basics but any tips on how to move the lenses from each other? Eventually I want to try the setup with lenses of varying focal lengths so I should be able to move them. The articles online suggest changing the thickness but that just distorts my lens. 

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Hasti 

icon

Best answer by Berta.Bernad 22 April 2024, 12:53

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi Hasti

Slider may be a solution?

YANG

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi Hasti!

The thickness of a surface is the distance from the vertex of a surface to the vertex of the next one along the local z axis. So to enter or change the thickness of a surface, you just need to place the cursor to the desired cell, and type in the new value. 

As Yang said, you can use the slide control to adjust any thickness while monitoring how the changed value affects the data displayed in any open analysis window. 

You can also have a look at the Getting Started with OpticStudio free tutorial, which will give you an overview of the software (Part 2 explains how to use the editors to define your optical system).

Thank you both! My issue was that I was changing the thickness for both surfaces of the lens, while to change the distance I only needed to change the first surface’s thickness.

Best,

Hasti