Solved

Insert a autocad project

• 16 March 2022
  • 3 replies

i am learning the optic studio right now. So i have a (Autocad) project to perform calculations from zemax. but I dont know to how to insert a Autocad project to zemax. Can someone who knows help?

icon

Best answer by David.Nguyen 18 March 2022, 10:24

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Fhurkhan,

I don’t know what an Autocad project is, but I would suggest to start by reading this article, which demonstrates how to import CAD objects, such as STEP files, into OpticStudio.

Let us know how you get on and take care,

David

Thank you for answering David.Nyugen

I mean , how do I open files with the extension .dwfx .wmf .sat .stl .eps .dxx .bmg .dgn .jges .jgs .dwf .dwg (AutoCAD creates these extensions ) with zemax?

I hope I explained it right.

I'm adding created file by AutoCAD to open with zemax.

Some informations about AutoCAD : 

https://www.autodesk.com/products/autocad/overview?term=1-YEAR&tab=subscription

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Fhurkhan,

Once again, I would suggest you read the article I sent you before. Be aware that OpticStudio can’t open those files directly. Meaning, you can’t just click File..Open. In case that is what you were trying to do. As a matter of fact, when you do click File..Open, you do get the list of extension OpticStudio is able to read:

These are *.zmx, *.zar, *.zbd, and *.zos files.

The general procedure to import CAD file is to:

1. Copy your CAD file into your folder: {Documents}\Zemax\Objects\CAD Files
  2. Open OpticStudio and switch to non-sequential mode by pressing Setup..Non-sequential
  3. In the Non-Sequential Editor, add a CAD object

There are different CAD objects that are compatible with different file types. The only ones I know from your list are as follow:

• For *.STEP, *.SAT, and *.IGES, the CAD object is CAD Part: STEP/IGES/SAT
  • For *.STL, the CAD object is CAD Part: STL

As far as I can tell, *.DWG isn’t supported by OpticStudio.

Take care,

David