Solved

How to use sample model of human eye Eye_NSC.zmx

Dear Sir/Madam,

I want to use the human eye model sample which I have downloaded from the link provided in a white papaer “Zemax OpticStudio Models of the Human Eye” for my own analysis. The model I want to use is the NSC model with a file name of Eye_NSC.zmx. 

I want to test how close I can put two light sources away from one another such that the eye can still distinguish them as two point source instead of one. 

May I know if the model Eye_NSC is suitable to carry out the analysis?  If it could be used for my analysis, how far should I put the light sources away from the eye? Since, the near point of a human eye is defined as 25cm, should i put the light sources 25 cm away from the Lens of the eye?

Appreciate your help to provide any related information you have!

Best Regards,

Jing

icon

Best answer by Csilla Timar-Fulep 12 July 2022, 13:32

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi Jing, 

Thanks for your question here on the community forums.

I have taken a look at the NSC eye model in the knowledgebase article, and I think it will be possible to make such resolution tests using this model, but you will need to modify the model for that. 

The model eye is currently focused at infinity, so I think that in this state the model might be better suited for angular resolution testing instead of spatial resolution testing.

In order to test spatial resolution, you can try to modify the model to focus at a certain distance, and then use light sources at a finite distance away from the eye. May I ask what would be the use case for this simulation? Will the eye be focused at the sources in the real measurement? If so, then probably you want to replicate that scenario in the model too.

You may find further help about how to create eye models which focus at near or intermediate distances in this article: How to model the human eye in OpticStudio – Knowledgebase (zemax.com)

Besides that, the pixel size of the current NSC model may be considerably larger than the image size at the retina, so the Detector Viewer light distribution might show the pixel size of the detector rather than the image size. If point imaging is of interest the pixel size will need to be reduced. You might also want to reduce the detector size to focus only on the area of interest, and possibly finetune the wavelength range and pupil size depending on the application.

I hope this helps, but if you have further questions, please ask.

Best,
Csilla

Hi Csilla Timar-Fulep,

Thank you very much for your answer! 

I want to use the model to test spatial resolution in non-sequential mode. And the eye will be focused at the sources in real measurement. It is really helpful to know that currently the eye model is focused at infinity instead of a finite distance. I will try to adjust the Lens in the eye model to change the focus. 

Best Regards,

Niu Jing