How to set divergence angle in POP

• 18 November 2020
  • 1 reply

Hi everyone,

Can you guys help me.

I had made an optical system using POP. I have one problem and question, which is how can I set the divergence angle into my system? For example, I created the system with the beam waist(1.049mm), and I want the divergence to be 0 in angle.

I attached my system in the file below.

Maybe there is something that I did not realized or maybe I don’t have the right knowledge about it. I would love to know and learn.

Thank you.

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi,

The beam launched by the POP algorithm will always be perfectly collimated at the waist, but it will always show some amount of divergence as the beam propagates in free space. This represents the physical divergence of a coherent collimated beam as it propagates. So if the beam is defined at the waist, will generally diverge to a larger beam size as it propagates away from the waist.

If you want to set this divergence as 0, you may use 'Gaussian Size + Angle' definition instead. 

201118-090627-image.png

You will find a complete description of this mode browsing the help file as such:

The Analyze Tab (sequential ui mode) > Laser and Fibers Group > About Physical Optics Propagation > Defining the Initial Beam > Gaussian Size+Angle

I'd also recommend you to have a look at the learning path 'Modelling Laser Beam Propagation in OpticStudio':

https://www.zemax.com/blogs/free-tutorials/modeling-laser-beam-propagation-in-opticstudio