Skip to main content

Hello there, I have a basic system of lenses focusing incoming light from a laser beam onto a camera. I have a 1000 um pinhole slit, and populated it with various field lines. My question now is how can I measure the spot size or point spread function of the beam accounting for ALL field lines. 

The spot diagram gives me the RMS but only of each unique field line, not combined. 

The footprint diagram shows the overlay of each field line but does not give me a measured spot size.

The PSF does not allow me to plot more than 1 field line at a time. 

Thank you for any guidance, this community has been very helpful in the past. 

This is my very basic design. Order of surfaces is pinhole slit, collimating lens, diffraction grating, focusing lens, and camera detector. 

@whit2452 

I’m not totally sure I understand what you want. But I can think of two features of OpticStudio that might be of interest. First, the Analyze..PSF..Huygens PSF has a neat feature to sum PSFs across multiple configurations. If you have multiple configurations, at the top of a Huygens PSF analysis, left of the (?) Help symbol, you can choose the configuration that should be used for the analysis or also choose All configurations, which will perform a coherent sum of the PSFs of each configuration.

You will find more details in the Help file about this feature. But you could have your different fields defined as configurations (instead of in the Field Editor). You can use Multi-Configuration (MC) operands such as YFIE. To change the Field Y value for different configurations. The problem is that if the fields are far away from one another, the calculation time quickly becomes prohibitive.

Second, since you have an image of the pinhole on your detector. You could use the Analyze..Extended Scene Analysis..Image Simulation to propagate your actual pinhole onto the detector while accounting for geometric and/or diffraction aberrations.

I hope this helps, and take care,

David