Solved

How to make a source file emits light isotropically instead of directional as in original source file.

• 22 December 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi,

I exported rectangular detector data (200 by 200 pixels) to .DAT or .SDF file to be used as a source file.  I want to this source file emanates rays in a hemisphere with equal probability in all directions (Isotropic) but I cannot find any options to do that.  I tried to make the source file with location only (XYZ) and with both location & direction (XYZ & LMN) (as shown in a figure below) and imported this file as a source file to my model.  Both cases give a same result under Polar Detector.

Is there any way to make isotropic source from a detector?  I only want 2D intensity distribution source with isotropic emission for each location.

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Ethan 4 January 2023, 21:44

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @Ntran,

If all you want is a rectangular or elliptical source with isotropic emission, you could use the built-in Source Two Angle (see the Help File, The Setup Tab > Editors Group (Setup Tab) > Non-sequential Component Editor > Non-sequential Sources > Source Two Angle). With this object you can set the width in x/y, and you can define the angle of rays emitted. Most importantly, you can set Uniform Angle = 1 to achieve a uniform distribution of rays in angle space for each point.

I hope this helps with your design.

Best,
Ethan

Thanks Ethan.  However, I want to convert directional source file with 2D intensity distribution to angularly isotropic emission for every point on 2D intensity distribution profile.  I don’t want 2D uniform intensity profile.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @Ntran,

I’m sorry that I missed the point about a non-uniform intensity distribution. That is much more challenging. There are some sources that can have a defined distribution, like a Gaussian, but if you want a source with an arbitrary distribution, you are going to require something much more customized. You may need to consider creating a source DLL. With this option, you can define the source fully, both the intensity and angular distributions. To get started, please see Custom DLLs in OpticStudio: An overview of user-defined surfaces, objects, and other DLL types – Knowledgebase (zemax.com).

Best,
Ethan 

Thanks Ethan.