Feature Request: Custom Color Maps

• 17 February 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge

Zemax allows for three colormaps, Magma, Viridis, and Spectrum. I would like to be able to import a custom color map into Zemax. There are many good reasons for different color maps and some very good reasons to avoid certain color maps and different color maps are better suited to 3D surfaces instead of 2D surfaces for example. I will relinquish that discussion to the current literature, in particular, the discussion from Kenneth Moreland and examples from ColorBrewer.

An alternative to custom color maps would be more color maps along the lines presented in ColorBrewer, Sequential; Diverging; Qualitative; with groups or filters to select for colorblind safe, print friendly, and photocopy safe. Perhaps an import feature could be created for five custom color maps that accepts the color codes from ColorBrewer for between 3 and 12 color classes.

Additionally, I would prefer being able to select the color map in the analysis window instead of as a global setting.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

In the same vein, I think the rays and the editor lines colors could do with a revamping as well.

David