Solved

Extended Polynomial ROC and Focal Length Question

• 19 October 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello,

I am using the extended polynomial to create a lens and am trying some simple optimization.  I noticed that the radius of curvature and focal length are not matching up as I would usually expect; focal length should be *roughly* twice the radius of curvature.  I am wondering if I am looking at the analysis incorrectly?  I used the EFLX and POWF operands and they seem to agreed with the analysis windows and EFFL.

A plano-convex lens focal length using a material with index 1.5 would normally be twice the radius of curvature as a first approximation.  So does optimizing the polynomial surface change the focal length that much compared to the radius of curvature?

Thanks in advance for the advise.

icon

Best answer by Sandrine Auriol 14 November 2022, 16:59

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi Michael,

It looks like your attached zip file only contains the .ZDA file. This file has data about your session, but it doesn’t contain the system itself. If you can send a .ZMX, .ZOS, or better yet an archive .ZAR file, someone can look at your system.

Userlevel 1

I have attached the .zar file.  Thanks for the help.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Michaelkm8 

Your Extended Polynomial contains X^2 and Y^2 terms which contributes to the radius of curvature. Sometimes it is best to skip those terms so that they don’t interfere with the radius of curvature.