Solved

Error during Optimization with TOLR

• 21 January 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2

Dear Experts,

I am just optimizing my design with a TOLR function in the Merit Function.

I can start the optimization with 7 variables, all looks good and the Merit function value decreases. I assume the TOLR001.TOP function, I have saved before and copied into the config folder, is loaded. After some minutes I get the error message below. Any idea, what could cause this ?

Attached some error messages I got:

Then I get a bit of abnormal behaviour of Zemax, like the Layout is not display anymore. So far I only could restart Zemax.

Maybe somebody has an idea?

Many thanks

Markus

icon

Best answer by Allie 28 January 2022, 23:48

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 2

I have tried now to use TOLR002.TOP instead of TOLR001.TOP. But still the same crashes after about 2 minutes of optimization. When I stop optimization before the crash and check the result, TOLR has a nice effect decreasing the sensitivities. So my Tolerance Data and Merit Function seem to be OK.

I can do the same optimization without the TOLR function without getting any crashes, but of course optimization does not run for 2 minutes.

I have also checked the eventlog of Windows, but nothing suspicious.

Any ideas what could block Zemax from access the TOLR002.TOP file?

Many thanks for any ideas.

Markus

Userlevel 2

Upgrade to OpticStudio 22.1 Professional 64bit did not help. Still the crashes.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Markus,

Within your TOP configuration file, what are the settings for Criterion? Are you using a User Script or Merit Function criterion? This type of problem can be a result of using a command which is not optimized for multi-threaded processes. If you let me know what your settings are, I can try to investigate further!

Userlevel 2

Hi Allie,

thanks for coming back with these ideas!

OK, I found my mistake. Actually, I got lost in the manual, I saved the data of the Tolerance Data Editor in a .tol file, not the Tolerance dialog box. I renamed the .tol file into .top and moved it to .config :). I am really surprised that it worked at all?!

Now I have pressed save in the Tolerance dialog box to save a .top and everything is fine now. No crash anymore. Probably you think now, that you can’t think as weired as some users :)

Thanks again for the support. Your message gave me the right hint, because I was confused why you talked about the Criterion, which is not saved in the .tol file.

Markus

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Markus,

Glad to hear my response pointed you in the right direction! And don’t worry - it’s easy to get these kinds of things confused. It’s why we have a full Knowledgebase article dedicated solely to file extensions ;). Hoping you have an enjoyable week ahead!