Solved

Difference between Detector Surface and Detector Polar

• 6 October 2021
  • 2 replies

Hello,

I am not familiar with non-sequential mode in Zemax and need some helps.

Currently I’d like to design simple optical system (singular lens) with arbitrary shape aperture(ex: F-shape, slit, etc.) in front of it and want to get a light intensity distribution in curved detector(or hemispherical shape).

So, I think that Detector Surface and/or Detector Polar would be the solutions and they will have the similar results, but I’ve got two different results: 1) Detector surface seems to show focal spot and 2) Detector polar shows just aperture shape image.

It makes me confused. Could somebody kindly explain the differences between Detector surface and Detector polar?

icon

Best answer by Ray 7 October 2021, 11:21

View original

2 replies

Detector surface

Detector polar

This is example of the results with horizontal slit-shape aperture for your reference.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi,

The top plot shows “Incoherent irradiance” (coordinates are distances) and the bottom “Radiant Intensity” (coordinates are angles), so you are not plotting the same quantity. You can choose to display “Radiant intensity” in the settings of the detector surface.

However, you should not use “detector surface”, but “detector rectangle" (plotting Radiant Intensity). Detector surface is used if your detector is a curved surface, which is not what you want from your description.