Solved

CRVT operand: different values in multi-configuration editor and lens data editor

• 28 October 2021
  • 6 replies

Dear community,

I have a question about the CRVT operand. First a bit of background:
I have a simple system: an optical fiber in front of a collimating lens:

Fig.1 :Optical fiber in front of collimating lens

I am trying to do a thermal analysis. When the min and max temperature are added under (Sytem → Make thermal), the multi-configuration editor opens and a whole list of operands are shown. 

One of them is CVRT:

Fig.2: Snapshot multi-configuration editor. Line 11 shows CVRT value for surface 3, for the different configurations (columns). Column 2 is the default configuration of T = 20 degrees celsius.

I noticed that it is not the same value as what I see for surface 3 in the lens data editor:

Fig. 3: Here, for surface 3, the curvature value is -6.82901 for the current active configuration. Whereas in the multi-configuration CRVT is -0.14643 (line 11, see figure 2)

When I check the definition of CRVT I read: “If the multi-configuration operand is a CRVT, then the curvature of that surface for that configuration is computed from the curvature in the nominal configuration, the difference in temperature between the two configurations, and the TCE for that material.” 

I have now a question:
1. Nominal configuration; That would be the configuration where T is the default temperature, I assume? That is 20 degrees celsius. However, the configuration 1 is also configured to be T=20 degrees. So, then the difference in temperature is 0.

Overall, I find it difficult to interpret the CRVT value. Could someone explain it to me?

I appreciate the help!

Best, 

Monica

icon

Best answer by David 29 October 2021, 09:29

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Monica,

Did you forgot to put a description into your post? Pehraps this happened to you.

Take care,

David

Hi David,

No, that did not happen. I was trying to delete the question, but couldn’t find the button to do so, how embarrasing thay may be. I’ll give it another try!

Update: is it possible that I cannot be deleted?

Anyways, I updated the topic with a relevant question, that still remains.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Regarding your figure 3, -6.826 is a radius. CRVT is a curvature which is its reciprocal. 

Well, that was easy! Thank you for your quick reply.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi David,

No, that did not happen. I was trying to delete the question, but couldn’t find the button to do so, how embarrasing thay may be. I’ll give it another try!

Update: is it possible that I cannot be deleted?

Anyways, I updated the topic with a relevant question, that still remains.

I have never been able to delete a post, it could be intended though to prevent users from deleting their posts after they’ve been answered maybe?

Kind regards,

David

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi all - yes posts cannot be deleted by users. They must be deleted by Zemax staff. If you need something removed, feel free to tag me with an “@” symbol or send me a private message :).