Solved

Creating Ellipsoidal Surface in Non-Sequential Mode

• 17 November 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi!

I am a student learning Zemax and optics as a field. I have been working on designing an Ellipsoidal Reflector Spotlight (ERS) in OpticStudio and am having trouble creating an ellipsoidal surface to serve as the reflector. I have tried using standard surfaces and searching online to find any information that would help me to do so, yet I have found very little. What would be the easiest/most efficient way to create this object?

Thank you for your help in advance!

icon

Best answer by David 18 November 2022, 16:31

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

I have no experience with this. I suggest waiting to see if someone responds to your earlier post on the same subject. 

Dear David,

Sir, I am working on Lenticular sheets (where object in near vicinity becomes Invisbile in contrast to the background [see the attached picture for reference]) & want to simulate the same on Zemax.

May you please guide me as how to simulate the Background, Object & Light source and the subsequent effect when viewed through the Lenticular sheets in Zemax.

Regards

Gaurav

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hello,

Ellipsoidal (or elliptical) surfaces can be created in sequential or non-sequential modes using a Standard Surface with the appropriate radius and conic constant, the values of which can be determined by optimization.

For non-sequential mode, you can use either a Standard Surface or a Standard Lens. You could also create the desired lens in sequential mode and convert it to non-sequential using the built-in tool.

In the attached non-sequential file, the reflector is a Standard Surface. A Source Two Angle fills the reflector and the reflected rays strike a detector. The source and detector are placed at the intended foci of the reflector. The Optimization Wizard is used to generate a merit function that targets the RMS spot size to zero. The radius and conic constant of the reflector are variables. (Ignore Errors is set on the NSTR operand.)